Friday, November 8, 2013

A Historic Day In Eleanor's World

This will forever be remembered as the day Husband and I resolved a problem with honest communication and sincerity. I would like to mark this occasion, the 8th of November, 2013, with a full recount of this momentous event.

I was angry with Husband. Usually, I try to come up with excuses to avoid him when I'm angry so that I don't actually have to talk about it (healthy, I know). But we've been getting along much better lately. And avoiding him wasn't as easy as when we were barely speaking.

So I did something bold. I told him that I was angry and why. His typical response in the past would be to try to bring it back on me, that somehow whatever I was angry about was my fault. He would pout and give me the silent treatment. BUT, today he said that he was very sorry for the behavior that I was angry about (money related), and he showed me his plan to improve that behavior in the future.

I was so surprised how quickly my anger subsided when he apologized and showed me evidence that he was working on this particular behavior. And I was even more surprised when Husband owned up to his behavior, didn't try to minimize, blame, or manipulate, and just said "I'm sorry." And still more amazing is that I didn't keep that resentment with me. I was able to let it go.

Is THIS a glimpse of what a healthy marriage looks like???

1 comment:

  1. Yay! This is fantastic! So happy for this momentous occasion :)

    ReplyDelete